With healthcare job growth expected to outpace all other industries in the next five years, there are plenty of opportunities out there for skilled healthcare support professionals with the right mix of technical, clinical, and soft skills.
So, what kind of healthcare support talent is in highest demand? Based on our knowledge of the national healthcare job market, these are the top three positions hiring managers will be looking to fill in the coming year:
Insurance Claims Analyst
- Responsible for reviewing and analyzing claims and costs, processing new claims and completing old ones.
- Acts as a facilitator among various groups, such as lawyers, insurance brokers and carriers.
- Prepares and files legal documentation.
- Requires a high school diploma or an associate’s degree.
- Some employers also require a bachelor’s degree and business experience.
- Extra training may be needed in medical billing or other technology areas.
Base Salary by Experience: 0-2 years: $43,023, 3-10 years: $58,071, 10+ years: $77,394
- Trained in various medical classification systems, medical terminology, and pathophysiology.
- Must understand and adhere to laws and ethics of health insurance, medical billing and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
- Certifications in the field are preferred, but not mandatory.
- Certified Coding Assistant is the most common exam and is taken after training is completed.
- A Certified Coding Specialist exam can be taken after a few years of experience.
- Typically requires certification or an associate’s degree program in medical billing and coding.
Base Salary by Experience: 0-2 years: $43,541, 3-10 years: $57,566, 10+ years: $79,399
Patient Account Representative
- Processes claims, collects payments, and resolves any patient questions regarding a hospital or clinic account.
- Assists patients with repayment terms and contacts those who are delinquent on payments.
- Works with insurance companies regarding claims and provides updated account information.
- Requires a high school diploma and some experience with medical billing or collections.
- Many require an associate’s degree and skills on computer software.
Base Salary by Experience: 0-2 years: $49,292, 3-10 years: $60,204, 10+ years: $69,814
Want additional insights to help you advance your healthcare career? Download our 2022 Healthcare Career Guide now.
Ready for your next great opportunity? Search jobs today >