It’s a great time to be a marketing professional. As the pandemic changed the ways we live and work over the past few years, it also changed in the ways brands interact with us. With this evolution comes an increased need for highly skilled marketing and creative talent that can help companies reach their intended audiences and drive future growth. In fact, we’re seeing a steady rise in the demand for top marketing and creative professionals as most organizations expect to increase hires and expand these departments.
In our 2022 Compensation & Workforce Trends Survey, 87% of hiring managers said they planned to backfill roles eliminated during the COVID-19 pandemic. Additionally, in the long-term, the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) projects solid growth in employment and job openings between now and 2030.
- Employment of advertising, promotions, and marketing managers is projected to grow 10% from 2020 to 2030
- ~31,100 openings for advertising, promotions, and marketing managers are projected each year, on average
So, whether you’re looking to start a career in marketing, or move up to a better position, here are some tips to make yourself as marketable as possible to a potential employer:
Highlight the right skills.
Since the pandemic, marketing departments have found it increasingly difficult to find candidates with the following skills, so consider highlighting these on your job applications.
- 55% technical skills
- 51% adaptability/creativity
- 49% leadership
Consider staying at your current job to learn new skills.
Yes, there are job openings out there, but your current employer may also give you an opportunity to learn new skills and, in turn, earn a promotion.
- 63% of hiring managers say they plan to close the skills gap by identifying and upskilling high potential employees within their organizations
- 54% say they plan to reskill current employees to be redeployed
Be prepared to act fast.
If you do decide to pursue a new job, be ready for a fast-paced hiring process. employers told us that marketing departments are hiring—and hiring quickly.
- 77% have shortened the interview and offer process to meet the current demand and competition for skilled workers
Want additional insights to help you make the most informed career decisions? Download our 2022 Marketing Career Guide now.
Ready for your next great opportunity? Search jobs today >
2022 Compensation & Workforce Trends Survey Methodology
LHH Recruitment Solutions in partnership with Allison+Partners surveyed 1,405 hiring decision makers in the U.S. The survey was hosted in Qualtrics and panel was sourced from Lucid and Currant Fielding Solutions. Fielding was conducted in late 2021.