What is a Logistics Coordinator?
A Logistics Coordinator is an essential role that helps a company get their product into the consumers’ hands in a timely manner. Their responsibilities include overseeing all aspects of a company’s supply chain, from preparation to transportation to delivery. An efficiently run system that maximizes profitability is a key indicator of a successful Logistics Coordinator.
Among the top goals for this role is ensuring that a company’s fulfillment operations stay on schedule. Since Logistic Coordinators must ensure operations meet legal and regulatory requirements, they may be monitored by local, state, federal, and international agencies that oversee these operations. Depending on the organization, this role may report to a role as Logistics Supervisor or Chief Supply Chain Officer.
- Associate degree
- 1-2 years of experience in a logistics support role
- Experience using common logistics software, such as RFID (radio-frequency identification)
Logistics Coordinator Essential Skills
- Communication skills
- Negotiation abilities
- Customer service-oriented
- Organizational expertise
- Problem-solving skills
Logistics Coordinator Roles & Responsibilities
- Travel to the company’s warehouses and inventory outlets to assess and streamline operations
- Analyze and optimize the company’s logistics processes
- Ensure shipping methods comply with local, state, federal, and international regulations
- Manage material acquisition, including raw materials
- Negotiate with suppliers, retailers, and delivery operators
- Regularly communicate with customers to understand their supply needs
- Coordinate allocation of product for inventory to keep warehouse capacity at optimal levels
- Coordinate shipments for delivery, including managing necessary personnel, to maximize efficiency and profitability
- Promptly resolve shipment and inventory issues as they arise
- Process freight claims and billing